PRESS RELEASE: 8th Annual Tofino Saltwater Classic Fundraiser Fishing Derby Donates Record $80,000 to Community Initiatives
Mon, Jul 31st, 2017
NHL Alumnus Brendan Morrison's Event Surpasses $430,000 Total Funds Raised
Tofino, British Columbia, Canada, July 31, 2017 – Brendan Morrison, formerly of the National Hockey League, today announced that the Tofino Saltwater Classic fundraiser fishing derby held July 15-16 in Tofino on the west coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia, broke the event's yearly record by raising more than $80,000. The total amount raised since the event's inception is now more than $430,000.
In addition to participant registration fees, the Tofino Saltwater Classic raises funds via the event's silent auction and by private donations from Tofino residents and business owners from around the province and across North America. All proceeds from the derby support various Tofino community initiatives.
This year's beneficiaries include:
- Wickaninnish Community School
- Tofino Salmon Enhancement Society
- Tofino Hospital Foundation
- Tofino Recreation Commission
- West Coast Multiplex Society
- Raincoast Education Society
- Tofino Clayoquot Heritage Society
- Tofino Legion Branch 65
- St. Francis of Assisi Women's Support Program
- Community Children's Centre
- Tofino Volunteer Fire Department
- Tofino Community Food Program
135 anglers participated in the 2017 Tofino Saltwater Classic with the following winners and prizes:
- Top Chinook (22.0 pounds): Bob Gormley - Prize $6,000
- 2nd Place Chinook (21.9 pounds): Scott Robinson - Prize $3,000 (re-donated)
- 3rd Place Chinook (20.6 pounds): Bill Sinclair - Prize $1,500
- Top Coho (8.9 pounds): Dan Quigley - $1,500
- Top Hidden Weight Halibut: Rob Gialet - $1,500 (partially re-donated)
"It's a great feeling to be able to exceed our fundraising goals again and to continue to give back to the community of Tofino in such a measurable way, " said Tofino Saltwater Classic Fishing Derby host, Brendan Morrison. "Even though the derby supports the things you would expect anglers to care about – like salmon enhancement – it is our support for Tofino's youth programs that I am most proud of. Over the years we have contributed to ten different local student and youth initiatives. The majority of the funds raised support the Wickaninnish School's Healthy Food Program, which we know has had a positive impact on many kids and their families. Of course, the success of our event relies on a dedicated team of local volunteers and businesses. I would like to acknowledge and thank each of them for their contributions."
About the Tofino Saltwater Classic www.tofinosaltwaterclassic.com
In its eighth year, the Tofino Saltwater Classic fishing derby was created by former National Hockey League (NHL) player Brendan Morrison as a community fundraiser. All proceeds, excluding prizes, benefit Tofino community initiatives. The 2018 derby will be held on July 6, 7 & 8. Registration will open on January 7, 2018.
Lynda Kaye, Kaye Public Relations for the Tofino Saltwater Classic
e: email@example.com // ph: 250.266.5293